John,

The difference is HUGE!

Pactor is a proprietary mode and the primary use is for radio e-mail.
The cost is quite high for just that one function and very few of us
digital operators will buy a single sourced foreign product for that
purpose unless we are boaters or RV'ers and want the free e-mail
service. (I am not suggesting that doing this is proper or the right
thing to do just because you can do it, but that is the way of the world
at this time).

Due to the ready availability of the multimode software that runs on a
computer, and using just the soundcard, we can pick and choose from many
different software packages, most of them free as in beer. This gives us
dozens of different modes to experiment with and decide what we will use
for our operating preferences.

If I had all the modes available on a given program, I would likely
select Ham Radio Deluxe with the Digital Master 780 digital mode
addition. This is the most refined digital program, but it does require
plenty of power to run.

Multipsk has many more modes, including ALE/FAE400 which is the mode
that I find the most powerful for ARQ messaging at this time. The
interface is what Patrick prefers and he is the programmer and allows
you to use most of the program features for free. It is hard to
understand why you would criticize such a product with such strong
language! It is one thing to ask, as many of us have, if the program
could be made more professional looking and acting, but he just prefers
it his way.