Andrew O'Brien wrote:
> Aside from PACTOR, NBEMS and ALE, which has seemed to be moderately
> active ,  what is the latest in emergency communication protocols ?  I
> did manage to use AIRMAIL a few years ago, just to see if it could
> work.  I vaguely recall something recently that said they have revised
> some aspects of Winlink and eliminated Telpac, is that correct?  If
> so, what did they replace it with?
>
> Andy K3UK

Telpac software which is used to run a VHF/UHF Winlink 2000 Gateway
has been replaced with updated software called RMS Packet. Telpac
systems will continue to work but I don't believe the software will
receive any further updates. There is a similar new application called
RMS Pactor to control the HF access.

There was an announcement back in April 2008 on the Winlink mailing
lists and you can read more of the details on their web site:

<http://www.winlink.org/>

Tim N9PUZ