Hi Doug,

Before you commit a lot of effort to learning about how to use "dumb
digipeating", i.e. using "via", try to find out if there are still
operational "nodes" in your area.  These are generally much more efficient
at moving traffic, because they are less dependent on every single packet
transmission being received and passed along, through the potentially
several digipeaters.

Nodes work by first accepting a connection from your station, then you
commmanding them to either connect to another node, or to a destination
station.  They maintain internal tables of the means to reach other nodes,
and unless disabled, can be commanded to list the other network nodes that
they know how to reach.  When you command a node to connect to another
station, be it a node or an end user, the node manages that connection as a
separate AX.25 connection from the one it's maintaining for you - so any
retries happen without direct digipeating - which reduces the retry
interval, and greatly enhances the reliability of the data transfer.

In the hey day of packet, some nodes would know how to reach as many as 100
other nodes.  And by using dedicated linking channels, the end user you
reach might not be on the same frequency as you are.  There's less
interested in creating and maintaining packet networks these days, probably
as a result of the ease and ubiquity of the internet, at least as one
significant factor.

I was pretty involved with creating the packet network that started from the
Seattle area, and eventually reached into British Columbia, SW Oregon, and
as far east as the Rockies, or so, in Montana.  On that network, one of the
operating precepts was that user access nodes be on different frequencies,
so that they didn't hear (and hence interfere with) other stations at a
distance.  A "backbone" was created to tie all of the user access nodes
together.  We also made good use of repeaters for packet - they help in that
everyone can hear everyone else, to know when the channel is busy, and
allows everyone to use a beam, to hit the repeater with the best signal
possible.  We did this at 1200 baud as well as 9600 baud.  Then we did some
of these projects all over again, as we moved to using TCP/IP over AX.25 -
uaing automated routing based on the RIP protocol, and having as many as 20
IP lans in Western Washington.  'Twas a fun time.  Now packet here is mostly
used by Emergency Communications support activities.

73, Bob, KD7NM