From: Charles Brabham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, August 4, 2008 4:16:46 PM
Subject: Re: [digitalradio] Re: Has anyone looked into FPGA-based digitalmodes?

PACTOR, being an ARQ mode is incapable of sharing a
frequency with more than one other station. That, along with the extreme
bandwidth and lack of effective signal detection makes PACTOR unsuitable for
digital HF networks on anything but a very limited scale. - A few afficianados
can play around with it, but in that case as the network grows, more and more
participants cop out and use the internet band-aid to cover up for the mode's
basic lack of suitability for HF networking.

Or they do like WinLink and run roughshod over
their fellow hams, operating what amounts to a QRM mill that takes up more and
more spectrum as the "network" grows.

HF Packet, warts and all, is currently the only
digital mode that a serious HF network can be built upon. The secret to this
performance edge is AX25, which allows multiple stations to share a single
frequency. The more reasonable bandwith there is also a positive factor that
appeals to responsible amateurs who know how to play well with
others.

They call this "spectral efficiency" and if your
mode of choice does not have it, best to keep it for keyboard use and leave the
networking to the networkers.

It is fashionable to diss Packet radio and AX25 -
but none of the detractors have been able to demonstrate anything that does HF
Packet's job any better... In fact, nobody has come up with anything yet that
even works as well. Performance talks, and "fashionable PC attitudes" walk when
actual networkers look at the available digital modes.

That's the way it is... Maybe someday there will be
an actual improvement over AX25 and Packet for HF networking. When this
happens,
I'll be one of the first to put the new system on the air and into actual use.
BUT I have witnessed and been part of several efforts to improve upon AX25 and
Packet over the last couple of decades, and what has been found in every case
so
far is that it is awfully easy to sit around and diss AX25 Packet for HF
networking, but not so easy to come up with something that actually works as
well, much less any better.

If there was anything actually better out there,
the HF digital network would already be using it and AX25 Packet would only be
found on the VHF/UHF bands.

But there isn't, so...

73 DE Charles Brabham, N5PVL

[EMAIL PROTECTED] #STX.TX.USA. NA