Greetings Patrick,

> Hello Tony, TKS for the interesting tests. Did you test PAX or PAX2? with
> Unproto frames?
> 73 Patrick

I used PAX2 with Unproto frames during the test. Haven't figured out how to
test in the 'connect' mode yet. I just finished testing PAX "1" so please
see below. PAX has a definite advantage in sensitivity over PAX-2 as well as
the ability to print better when conditions are disturbed.

There's a 3db advantage in sensitivity over PAX-2 when the criteria is based
on 100% decode. But partial decodes at -6 and -10db vs. 0db and -2db would
seem to indicated that PAX would do much better than PAX-2 in the ARQ
connect mode.

Would appreciate your thoughts on this Patrick...

Tony, K2MO

PAX: Sensitivity threshold for 100% decode: -11db (no ionospheric distortion)

Ionospheric Simulations.

High-Latitude Moderate.........Complete decdoe @ -4db SNR. Partial decode -10db
SNR
High-Latitude Disturbed........NO DECODE
Mid-latitude Disturbed.........Complete decode @ -4db SNR. Partial Decode @
-10db SNR
Low-Latitude Disturbed.........Complete decode @ -0db SNR. Partial decode @
-6db SNR

PAX2:

Sensitivity threshold for 100% decode: -2db (no ionospheric distortion)

Ionospheric Simulations.

High-Latitude Moderate.........Complete decdoe @ +2db SNR. Partial decode 0db
SNR
High-Latitude Disturbed........NO DECODE
Mid-latitude Disturbed.........Complete decode @ +1db SNR. Partial Decode @
-2db SNR
Low-Latitude Disturbed.........NO DECODE

HFPAcket (300baud):

Sensitivity threshold for 100% decode: +1db SNR (no ionospheric distortion)

Ionospheric Simulations. NO DECODE REGARDLESS OF SNR*

* Susceptible to slight multi-path timing delays (< 1msec) and Doppler Spread
(< 1Hz)