  To: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Wednesday, September 10, 2008 7:47 AM
  Subject: RE: [digitalradio] Re: High speed packet

  Martin:

  I'd bet you were thinking of ISA instead of IDE - and probably the dual
  opto-SCC card developed by your countrymen back then.

  Ross:

  JNOS is probably the most actively maintained version of NET which became
  NOS, back in about 1990/1991 time frame. Current versions of it can be run
  under either Windows or Linux. JNOS has KISS as one of its historic
  interface methods. As long as you have a more modern serial communications
  chip in the computer you're using (16550-compatible) you should be able to
  configure it to have adequate communications with the TNC at either 57.6kbps
  or 115.5kbps, if the TNC supports it.

  The SV2AGW family of programs may also support that fast serial data rate -
  I don't have an easy way to check where I'm entering this email. The AGW
  Packet Engine (AGWPE) definitly also understands how to do KISS. My home
  Airmail station is using a shim to talk to AGWPE, which is talking to an AEA
  PK-96 using KISS, which is then interfaced with the radio.

  Perhaps I've not been watching the list carefully - what over-the-air data
  rate are you using that makes performing serial communications at 57.6kbps
  an advantage? Unless you're sending quite large AX.25 packets (1k or 2k) on
  a radio link at 38.4kbps, there's probably not much performance advantage to
  going that fast. And if your on-air data rate IS that fast,
  congratulations!

  73

  Bob, KD7NM