SCAMP had no problem at all with the switching times from the testing I
did. As a former Amtor and Pactor user from years earlier, it proved to
me that my concerns about switching were unwarranted. Then along comes
RFSM2400 with its frequent switching back and forth to maintain a link,
even with no data flow, and you realize that computers can switch in a
few tens of milliseconds, even with non-real time operating systems. Try
toggling the PTT control with a typical multimode program and see how
fast you can switch back and forth. It is not all that slow. I am
skeptical about the "wear and tear" issue. Many rigs have QSK
capabilities to allow switching between TX and RX many times per second.
Even at 60 wpm with CW! So twice per second for older technology such as
Amtor would not be that difficult to handle and new technology with less
than one cycle per a few seconds, hardly noticeable.

Although RFSM (MIL-STD 188-110A) can not be used in the HF RTTY/Data
U.S. bands due to the high baud rate, other MIL-STD parallel tone modems
could, even though it is not something that common. One of the methods
would be to use some of the SCAMP technology and leverage it with the
newer non RFDT modulation of SSTV/data such as QAM and do it with on the
fly ARQ instead of manually after the completion of the transmission as
it is done now with most of these programs.

 From my understanding that is what Winmor effectively does, plus it
will have the necessary adaptive technology for ramping speeds up and
down for conditions. This is something that any new, successful
messaging system MUST have to succeed. The big question for the future
is how open Winmor will be so that other adaptations can be made for BBS
and peer to peer connections, particularly if you want something that
can meet the needs of public service/emergency communication.  E-mail
can be helpful, but peer connections are vital, and BBS of great value
in order to time shift.

If there was a BBS system that could use low/no cost sound card adaptive
modes for HF and/or VHF, I think it would be popular. I personally would
be one of the first to support such a system. This is currently a large
"hole" in what we need since the packet systems have mostly been
discontinued. The key is to have at least a local BBS system that can
work over a moderate distance of perhaps 30 to 50 miles on VHF (or more)
and up to a few hundred miles on HF.