There was a (oops) in some of the rig xml files on the fldigi website
at the time of the 3.10 release. It was corrected quickly but you may
have a rig.xml that was missing the <port></port> tags.  I have been
using Fldigi with FT857D & 897D both without a problem.  Try the
FT857D.xml from Dave's website.

If running Linux, be sure to use either Hamlib 1.2.7 or compile a
snapshot from the CVN as Hamlib 1.2.8 wouldn't work right for me until
some issues were worked out.

Rich
WA4SXZ