The 50 baud may of had something to do with sync speed of the motors
as uk mains is 50 Hz , the land based (GPO)  telex machines ran at 50
baud , but the navy used 75 bauds .ship a/c 60 Hz . I did have a
creed 75 telly printer and 3 sets of gears , 75, 50, 45.45 baud ,
with the 240v/50hz sync ac motor it was noise free , electricslly
that was !

G ..