Rats!  I just hit the wrong key and sent an unintended
message.  Wish I could delete it.  And before that I had
written a lengthy comment which Yahoo seems to have lost.
So I'll try again.

Seems like there are several aspects to ALE

One is the notion of going through a list of frequencies in hopes
of finding one that works for the station(s) you are trying to
contact.

Another is the set of MIL STD modems, codecs, and protocols that
implement the system as we know it.

Now the frequency jumping part is something we could call "HF
Radio for Dummies" and I don't mean Dummies as a pejorative but
rather in the sense that has sold all those yellow books.  It
means you can get right to the point of communicating without
first having to learn a lot of arcane stuff about propagation
modes and times and seasons.  And even the experts are sometimes
fooled by propagation, so ALE may succeed at times when the experts
tell you it could not.

As for the MIL STD part, it's good that these things are being
standardized, and we know the military spares no expense in search
of the best communication technology.  Still, I wonder if these
modems and codecs and protocols are necessarily the best for the
amateur service, considering the legal restrictions we operate
under, the kinds of equipment we have to use, and the operating
conditions we encounter.  (Rhetorical question: Separate the
frequency scanning from the modem/codec.  What if we had
a system that could scan through a list of frequencies but used
PSK instead of the MIL STD modem/codec?)

Another aspect is the use of ALE as a communication medium in
its own right versus the use of ALE to find a usable channel
for further communication in some other mode.  Speaking only
for myself, I'm a keyboard mode operator so I don't get excited
about using ALE to initiate a contact that will be continued
in SSB voice.  And I can't see myself using ALE to establish
a contact and then saying, "let's QSY to such-and-such a
frequency and continue in PSK63."

Finally, it seems ALE is best suited to establishing communication
with a particular station, or with a group of stations having
a common interest.  This probably affects the number of hams
who are interested in trying it.  I used to keep a weekly sked
with a friend; ALE might have been helpful to us in finding
the best frequency to use on any given evening.  Back in the late
1950s I was in a RTTY roundtable of friends practically every
night.  ALE would probably not have been helpful then.  Some hams
chase DX, some contest, some are interested in emergency
services, some do it all.  ALE serves some of these operating
styles and not others.