Rick and Dave,

NBEMS was created and submitted at the eleventh hour as a reply to Rinaldo's
search for an HF protocol, but instead as a VHF system, mainly for emcomm. We
afterwards expanded it to include HF messaging for extended range where VHF
does not work, but is still primarily a digital messaging system, which only a
few have any use for. I am now working with Navy MARS to help them incorporate
the benefits of point-to-point digital communications, but much of their
activity is already focused on messaging, so it is a good fit. For messaging,
transmission of a message phonetically is much less efficient than digitally,
but still important to have when no computer is available, or when your
computer batteries run down.

However, hams in general are apparently much more interested in contesting or
ragchewing than in either emcomm or mailboxes (including leaving messages using
ALE). So, for most, a computer may only be used for logging, which is not hard
to understand. Nothing is simpler than just picking up a microphone, or if you
know Morse Code, sending with a bug and listening with your ears. Digital modes
are also more enjoyable if you can type than if you cannot, so typing
proficiency is another drawback to using digital modes. However, the release of
fldigi after this next one will incorporate both speech-to-text and
text-to-speech, making using narrowband digital modes somewhat like using phone
(with macros for callsign exchanges), but with a synthesized voice. This is now
my top priority for 2009.

The competition from email, text-messaging, email reflectors, and the now
almost everywhere broadband Internet access, has probably relegated the
popularity of BBS and radio mailboxes to the dust bin of history. Why then
should programmers spend a lot of time writing code for such a shrinking
audience? It is even hard to interest teenagers in radio itself, since they are
so accustomed to text messaging or picture transfers instantly with their cell
phones (which is also "radio" of course). They do not understand the appeal of
"random" contacts like we hams do on radio, and neither do many hams that only
work repeaters, as that is just "too easy". I hope that taking some interest in
FM DXing will provide a deeper glimpse for some repeater users into what ham
radio is REALLY (mostly) about, and has always been.

If anyone is not familiar with the idea of FM DXing, see page 95 of the March
QST.

73, Skip KH6TY