--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "Brent Gourley" <bg...@...> wrote:

> But humans provided the emcom traffic to the machines, and the
machines at
> the far end of the communication deliver it to humans. Without the
humans,
> there is no "communication."

I agree.  What I was referring to are store-and-forward links where HF
is used as a internet replacement, instead of a mode in which a human
operator relays a message to another human operator.

> For genuine, this-is-no-drill emcom, we should use the most effective
mode
> possible. Effective being the balance between speed and required
accuracy.

Again I agree.  However, there is a distinction between this-is-no-drill
emcomm, and the other 99.95% of the time that these automated messaging
systems are just handling traffic that could be handled on the Internet.
Please don't misunderstand me, I am not suggesting that these systems be
shut down.  I am not against email, Pactor or technology.

I am concerned that the people who are creating the HF to Internet links
don't really understand Internet security issues to know what they are
doing.  I am also concerned that these technologies will, if taken to
the extreme, do significant damage to the art of radio.  My opinions
only, other opinions may vary.  :)