Thanks for the welcome and the great advice and counsel,
Patrick/Andrew/Christian/Marc/Simon/Siegfried et al.

I did some more poking around on my rig, and found that my audio input to the
PC was indeed the Mic input, not Line In, as suggested more than once.
Unfortunately, on this PC (a laptop), there is no Line In, only Mike In ... but
I think I found a different driver for the on-board audio that will allow me to
reconfigure the jack.  I will definitely give that a try.  If it fails, I have
an older / slower desktop machine and a drawer full of decent Soundblaster PCI
cards I can try instead.  It's a 1GHz P3, but it should probably be strong
enough for this.  If that fails, I've got a dual CPU 2GHz P4 gathering dust in
the corner that's just waiting for a purpose.  ;-)

I'll also follow up on your other great suggestions, including pointers to
other tools/modes and to specific bands/freqs.

Cheers and thanks again.

- Doug / KE7SEI