I would like to remind all, if you are not already aware, to turn AGC
off when static crashes are an issue.

If you are fortunate enough to operate in a mixed mode net, turn it to
fast, or for inland stations, medium.

Slow recovery time of the rig in response to a strong signal cannot be
corrected by a sound card protocol; no matter how robust.

While we are at it, when using MT-63 at 1K long, keep in mind that most
software hard codes a starting frequency of 500 Hz, and that is a 1.5Khz
total width.

It doesn't work well if you have your filters set for PSK, or a
narrow-band mode.

In running digital training nets for newcomers to MT-63, it is
absolutely amazing how many ways can be found to lessen it's
effectiveness; primarily due to not understanding where the signal is,
where it is going, and how it is getting there.  It took me a long time
to factor out many of the common reasons it didn't work.

That is one of the main reasons that PSK-31 is so popular; even a
caveman can do it.

(Sorry Geico; couldn't resist)

David
KD4NUE