> Dave, AA6YQ wrote:
> Do you think its a good idea for amateurs to
> transmit 150 Khz-wide signals on HF bands
> like 20m that are 350 Khz wide?

Hi Dave,

Yes. There are certainly conditions now that
would be perfectly fine for 150kHz bandwidth
signals to be used at power levels that would
not cause harmful interference.

There is currently RF digital technology available
that can enable >100kHz bandwidth signals on
HF to provide many more simultaneous QSOs than
our traditional mid-20th century methods are
capable of.

I predict that in the near future, there will be
such advanced radio technologies being used more
and more on the ham bands. Through cooperation,
goodwill, and planning, new methods can co-exist
with legacy modes.

Certainly, we can take a lesson from mobile
phone technology. As a cellphone RF design
engineer, I witnessed significant advancements
in spectrum efficiency in that field. It made
possible many more users on the same frequency
band or channel at the same time, than was ever
thought viable when my first cellphone design
went to production in 1986. Similar advancement
could be forged in ham radio if we open our minds
to it and encourage creative talent.

73 Bonnie KQ6XA