Hi John,

WINMOR is an open protocol, therefore it is up to the developers as to
what they want to use it for. I personally prefer open protocols because
of this, but far be it for me to tell others how they can or can not use
a given protocol.

The current developers have designed the protocol to compete with Pactor
modes. Preliminary information says that it will outperform Pactor, and
be fairly competitive with Pactor 2, although at a much wider bandwidth,
similar to Pactor 3.

Unlike Pactor, WINMOR will have the ability to work within 200 Hz, 500
Hz, and ~ 2000 Hz bandwidths so that it can be used within the IARU band
plans.

And unlike Pactor 2 and 3, the modes are not including PSK100. We know
that PSK modes are susceptible to ionospheric instabilities,
particularly if they do not have training pulses. If you have looked at
the very interesting mode specifications, WINMOR may have some of this
newer technology.

I have never seen any tests from SCS as to how much ISI/multipath or
Doppler the Pactor modes can tolerate, but I suspect not very much. (Dr.
Rink claimed some years ago that it could handle most paths well enough
with their DSP, but I suspect that there are cases where the signal
strengths are good but Pactor can not work and yet other modes can.

As it progresses over the years, there is no reason that WINMOR can not
be constantly improved. Unlike a proprietary lock in with a
hardware/firmware system, it would be possible to update to newer modes
just by downloading new free software. In fact, I would expect that to
happen.

While I don't see hams using it for casual chatting, but it could be
done similar to how we used to use Amtor and even Pactor in the "old
days," HI.

What I would like to see is the ability to have a superior ARQ sound
card mode that can scale speed up or down to meet conditions and do this
automatically without user intervention. Since one of my interests is
pubic service, if peer to peer connections were designed into the
software, you would be able to connect to another station under varying
conditions and communicate directly from keyboard and send files as
needed. Ability to connect to an e-mail server may be useful, however
the first two needs must be met to be of value for local and regional
digital communication. And that is something we don't have available to
us at the moment.