Digital modes are similar to any other modes whereby increasing power
levels can mean the difference between no copy and solid copy. Because
of the sharp line of demarcation of printing or not printing correct
data, which can be only a dB or so, I guess that in that respect the
digital modes are even more critical compared with other modes such as
CW and SSB.

There are a number of rigs that are designed to operate with 100% duty
cycle for FM and RTTY and they can operate key down at 100 watts for an
extended transmission. Running them at reduced power may extend the life
of the transmitter, but it may not be a significant amount.

If you start transmitting with ALC action, you are probably just
starting to degrade the IMD, but maybe the tradeoff is acceptable if you
are right on the cusp between printing and not printing.

I completely agree that we should follow Part 97 (or whatever rules your
country requires) and use the lowest amount of power necessary for
effective communication. There have been a few (very few) times that I
even used an amplifier to increase the power beyond 100 watts in order
to keep the QSO going.