> My local computer store tells me that one cannot simply take a hard
> drive from a old Pc and place it in a new PC even if you have a
> Windows license disc for the new PC.  Is this correct?

I expect you'll have all kinds of driver issues.  Also, Windows treats
its users as maybe-criminals and requires permission from the mothership
every time the hardware changes significantly.

On a Linux system you have neither of these problems.  I would expect
the transplanted hard drive to work on a new machine (after all, the
LiveCD runs everywhere) and of course there's none of that activation
nonsense.

As for running Windows software, I hear that VirtualBox works very well
these days :-)

Stelios, M0GLD.