--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "Laurie, VK3AMA" <grou...@...> wrote:

> Hi Andy,
>
> I think the secret is to try and provide functionality (what that is I
> don't know) that encourages the site visitor to interact with the page.
> HamSpots routinely hits 50+ online users on weekends, but nobody is
> posting any spots. It reminds me of people complaining a band is dead
> because they can't see/hear any activity, the trouble is everyone is
> listening and no one is CQing, Hi.
>
> de Laurie, VK3AMA

I agree Laurie.  ONE development that I think would help is the ability to send
an audible alert to someone . Alas that seems not possible with PHP coding.
Many people set their PC to the sked page (and hamspots) and then go about
other tasks such as checking their email or twidling the dial.  If K3UK  sends
"Laurie, you up for a QSO on 30M? " VK3AMA may not see it for several minutes
and K3UK may have left before VK3AMA responds.  I have consulted several PHP
experts about the ability to send some audible "beep"  but each response I
receive suggest it is not possible.  You can program an audible alert in the
sked page HTML code but it would play at each refresh, that would be annoying.

Andy K3UK