Warren,

>I had my 1st THOR4 contact the other day on 30meters. It is very good at very
>weak
>signals and a lot of noise. How do you compare it with DominoEX and Olivia?
>>Warren - K5WGM

That's a good question and I took some time to run each mode through the HF
path simulator. I tried to get the bandwidth / word-per-minute rates as close
as possible for an apples-to-apples comparison. The wpm rates are approximate.

Test #1

In this test, we determined the lowest signal-to-noise ratio possible for each
mode (no HF path distortion) SNR @ 3KHz BW.

THOR4              14 wpm  173Hz  BW    -14db SNR
OLIVIA 2/125     12wpm   125Hz BW     -15db SNR
OLIVIA 8/250    17wpm   250Hz  BW     -15db SNR
DominoEX-4      27wpm*  173Hz  BW    -15db SIR

*Slowest DominoEx mode 27wpm.

In this test, all modes were tested with a moderate high-latitude (polar
ionosphere) disturbance. The SNR was increased to -8bd; 7db above the minimum
SNR.

THOR4              NO COPY
OLIVIA 1/125    100% COPY
OLIVIA 8/250    100% COPY
DominoEX-4       NO COPY

Selective fade test - the type of slow and deep selective fading found on many
paths. Same -8db SNR.

THOR4              100% COPY
OLIVIA 2/125     100% COPY
OLIVIA 8/250    100% COPY
DominoEX-4        75% COPY

Conclusion:

The high-latitude simulation was too much for both THOR and Dominio-EX4 which
is an indication that they would most likely have difficulty with moderately
disturbed polar ionosphere. Both show an intolerance to frequency spreading
fouund on these paths.

In the selective fade test which emulates notch attenuation sweeping across the
spectrum, THOR and OLIVIA did well while DominioEX-4 showed signs of failure
indicating this might not be the best mode when selective fading is present.

It seems to me that since all 4 modes have nearly the same sensitivity, it
would be difficult to tell the difference between them on a stable HF channel.

The DominoEX4 mode that did poorly on disturbed paths would be the better
choice during quite conditions since it moves along at a much faster 27 wpm.

It all depends on conditions at hand.

Tony -K2MO