> Then, you need to decide which PSKMAIL SERVER you think will be best for the
> current conditions, there is a list of servers on their Wiki.  Place the
> callsign of the server on the configure area where you placed your callsign.

You can ping on the frequency to hear which servers are available. Like every
web page the actual list of servers can be downloaded with the client.
Actually, the client automatically draws a list of servers which hear you.
Every time you send a position beacon, the servers hearing you without error
will
send a QSL. As the APRS posit beacon is quite long, you can be sure the servers
QSL'ing can hear you reasonably well.

> After you are configured, with rig on, FLDIGI booted and with the correct
> mode selected (usually PSK250) you click on the CONNECT button in jPSKMAIL
> and your rig will transmit a short burst of PSK250.  If you are detected by
> the server, it will answer you.  If you here the answer well enough, you will
> see the word "CONNECTED".  It is once connected that you can do most things,
> about the only thing you can do without being conncted is send a "ping" or
> report your postion APRS-style.

There are a lot more goodies.... Pskmail is fully APRS compatible, and that
works without being connected.
You can send messages to other pskmail stations just by saying 'K3UK This is a
message <ENTER>
The client will send this message and every server hearing it will transfer it
to the APRS backbone on the internet.
So wherever K3UK is listening, VHF, HF or internet (XASTIR), the message will
be delivered. On HF only the server you are linked to will deliver
the message, so preventing chaos. Findu.com has a web page allowing sending
messages from internet to APRS, this works as well, and you will
receive the message from the server you are linked to.
It is also easy to send a short email from pskmail without being connected:
Just write 'em...@address this is another message <ENTER>' no need to be
connected, every server picking this up will send the message
to the internet.
You can also send a tweet via twitter to the pskmail twitter channel. Enter
your message and push the 'send tweet' button
from the Twitter menu. Again, no need to connect...
For all unconnected (unproto) traffic, just repeat a few times if no server
picks it up....

Lots of stuff to play with, and it really starts to be fun when there are
several servers on a frequency like in EU...

73,

Rein PA0R
--
http://pa0r.blogspirit.com

Announce your digital presence via our Interactive Sked Pages at
http://www.obriensweb.com/sked

Recommended digital mode software:  Winwarbler, FLDIGI, DM780, or Multipsk
Logging Software:  DXKeeper or Ham Radio Deluxe.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: