The purpose of this message is to ask for people's experience and thoughts
about which modes and methods of digital to use for specific EMCOMM scenarios.

I'm in Fairfield County CT.  Relatively small in size, relatively dense in
population.  Hilly enough that VHF coverage in the northern half of the county
is spotty (even with the fixed repeaters currently in place) and in general VHF
is limited to about 20 miles radius throughout the county even with a good base
station and a reasonably tall antenna.

We are told that the most likely scenario is that hams would be deployed to
shelters or other fixed locations where our primary responsibility will be
passing message traffic -- either formal NTS traffic or long list traffic such
as shelter logistics lists, shelter occupancy lists, etc.

My question is what modes/methods/protocols to focus on when planning for that
kind of usage.  Some of the scenarios we are considering are:

1.  Long List shelter messages sent radio-to-radio direct on VHF FM (possibly
via a repeater).  In this scenario, Winlink is not available.

We've been experimenting with WinPack and it seems reasonably reliable over
short distances.  However, it is somewhat slow, and it's not clear to me if it
does error checking or not.  We've noticed some quirks where the receiving
station has to keep hitting enter to get the entire message (it receives two or
three lines at a time between hitting the enter key).  Is there other software
or are there other modes of operation that people would recommend for this
purpose?

2.  Long List shelter messages sent via WinLink.

WinLink via radio is grass-growing slow, but seems to be the major focus of
most EMCOMM email planning.  We can understand using it to reach internet email
if there is no internet service available in the disaster area.  What about
within the disaster area if we have choice between radio-to-radio direct (e.g.,
via WinPack) or going via WinLink.  Which would you consider the more desirable
approach, or is there some other approach you would recommend?

3.  Formatted NTS messages.

Sending NTS messages by voice is certainly doable, but the idea of sending
hundreds of such messages by voice doesn't sound like an efficient method of
communications (although it's there if nothing else is available).  There are
any number of programs and macros that produce formatted NTS text output, so
what are people doing in terms of sending such messages digitally?  Again, send
them via WinLink if available?  Send them via WinPack?  Send them via something
else?

If anyone wants to respond to me off the group, you can select my name and
email address (instead of the group) when you reply to this message.

Thanks.

Jon
KB1QBZ

message cross-posted on PacLinkMP group.