Hi Warren,

The cheap and dirty way we did it a decade or two ago to set up packet stations
was to hook the speaker output of a handy-talky to a VOM and monitor the audio
level coming from another packet station that was working well.  You then
adjusted the local transmit audio level to produce the same voltage on the VOM
on the handy-talky.

If you have no other stations to check against, my guess is you would just
listen to your signal on the handy-talky and set digital modulation level to be
a little below peak voice level when talking into the microphone.  As long as
the digital signal sounds fairly clean to your ear, it will probably be OK.

If there is someone nearby who can monitor your signal with a digital program
to display your signal on a waterfall, you could coordinate with them to find a
level that is below the clipping distortion level but high enough to give good
copy under noisy conditions.

That is about the best I can come up with off the top of my head.  I did buy
one of the MFJ meters a while back and find it works OK when use with a scope.
It's not what you would call a precision instrument but it has gotten the job
done adequately.

Gary - N0GW