Echolink is just another computer messenger. Echolink is not ham radio, it has
no place in ham radio, and fails the test even as a tool of ham radio. Echolink
is for those who can't figure out how to make a real radio work!

--- On Tue, 11/24/09, expeditionradio <expeditionra...@yahoo.com> wrote:

From: expeditionradio <expeditionra...@yahoo.com>
Subject: [digitalradio] Echolink Re: Ham HF networking digital communication
systems
To: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com
Date: Tuesday, November 24, 2009, 7:02 AM

      Hi Sigi,

Yes, Echolink is a wonderful example of a

modern networked radio communication system.

Can you please tell me which HF frequencies

and modes in europe you use to ring up your

friend with echolink? How can you ring up your

friend day and night with it on HF? Does anyone

have a multi-band HF node on Echolink?

I ran an HF-SSB voice echolink node for over a year,

on 5371.5kHz and 18157.5kHz. It was fun and useful.

Over 1000 hams used it during that year. Some

of the more interesting QSOs on it were the ones

with the most distant and unusual situations.. . such

as: A european ham on holiday, walking along a

beach in Canary Islands on a 2m FM HT, talking with

an american ham hiking with a PRC-1099 manpack on

20W SSB 18MHz in Colorado USA.

But of course, all the connections were manual

operation with voice calling. Echolink lacked the key

signaling and alerting feature to ring up someone

if they were not listening to the speaker. It also

lacked "remote PTT", so it had to be manually monitored,

the old way. Perhaps the recent software updates

have added new alert methods or remote PTT?

The use of DTMF tones for signaling from end-to-end

is not available in most systems due to many repeaters

auto-muting DTMF. This makes it difficult to add

any type of universal on-channel audio signalling.

Bonnie VR2/KQ6XA

.