I want to start up a packet system:  What cables and software do I need to use
my VX5 as a packet engine using Outpost software?  I want to use my Gateway
LT2022u XP netbook's soundcard and USB connections.  No serial connections and
no external TNC please.

So far the best I've found is the: "BUXCOMM RASCAL-II is the easiest
Plug-N-Play sound card interface available today. Use the sound card software
for the AFSK Digital mode you wish to operate.  There are no serial or USB
driver software to load or install, nor comports to select.  One RASCAL-II to
Transceiver cable is included.  Supports All AFSK Data & Voice Modes - The
BUXCOMM RASCAL II supports ALL AFSK, Digital and Voice modes that are available
for sound card interfaces.  This includes ALL traditional modes such as AFSK
operation of PSK31, CW, RTTY, Packet, MT-63 and SSTV. " On-line reviews are
less than positive but they are also several years old.

Does the RASCAL-II work as advertised?  Are there other configurations I should
consider?  Do I need AGWPE or some other software?

Bert  KG6HIZ