Interesting comments, Andy.

My goal is also to be able to monitor all the digital portions of the band and
to be able to spot all call signs in any mode across the band.  CW Skimmer is a
good model for that.  In addition, it would nice to be able to select a few
segments of the band (~5 KHz span in each segment) and to be able to select a
few specific signals in each segment for continuous decoding in various modes.
 As far as I know MixW is the only package that can decode multiple modes
simultaneously.  PSDR and SDR-Radio allow the selection of multiple segments (2
for PSDR, 3 for SDR-Radio) but the integration with digital mode decoding is
not built-in with the SDR software.

The hardware capability to do much of this is available in many of the
computers in the consumer market.  A few benchmarks that I have are:

MultiPSK in 4.3KHz wide panoramic mode with I/Q direct interface:
Dual core CPU, E2180, 2.0 GHz, 2.5 GB memory - 25% CPU usage
Quad core CPU, Q8200, 2.33GHz, 4.0 GB memory - 12% CPU usage

On the Q8200:
SDR-Radio uses about 8% average.
DM780 uses about 8% maximum.

The total CPU usage on the E2180 was around 35% - 40% with these applications
running:
MultiPSK in panoramic mode & the I/Q direct interface
HRD/DM780/Logbook
UI-View APRS
Weather Display

I replaced a 2.4 GHz single CPU/motherboard with the E2180 dual CPU/motherboard
last year and was very pleasantly surprised at the increased
capability/decreased CPU usage.  About 1GB per CPU core seems to be sufficient
for ham radio usage.

Ed
WB6YTE