Wes,

Welcome to the digital modes.  1967 was a good year - I was also first licensed
in '67.

This web site has some interesting information about digital modes.

http://f1ult.free.fr/DIGIMODES/MULTIPSK/digimodesF6CTE_en

An important parameter is the mean/peak power ratio for each of the modes.
This gives an idea of the average output power relative to the maximum rated TX
power that can be transmitted without distortion in the TX RF stages.  The
modes that transmit a single tone at a time with no phase modulation, such as
FSK modes, have mean/peak ratios of 1.0.  PSK31 has a mean/peak power ratio of
0.79.  For PSK31, an average power of 50 to 60 watts should keep the TX out of
the nonlinear region of operation for a transmitter rated at 100 watts max CW.
In practice most folks use 25 to 50 watts to give a little more margin, to
reduce the stress on the PA and because the difference between 40 watts and 60
watts will very rarely make a noticeable difference at the receiving end.

In general:

Nonlinearity in the TX RF stage will generate multiples of the RF carrier
frequency as well as a broadening of the spectrum - particularly for PSK
waveforms.

Nonlinearity in the TX audio stages will generate multiples of the TX audio
frequency.

Nonlinearity in the RX RF stages will generate sum and difference products of
the RF frequencies of the received signals.  Most of these products will be
outside the audio bandwidth.  This takes an extremely strong signal.  A strong
signal outside the audio bandwidth can also cause attenuation or blocking of
the desired signal.  The receiver AGC, turning off the preamp and/or switching
in the RX attenuator should eliminate these products.

Nonlinearity in the RX audio stages will generate multiples and sum and
difference products of the audio frequencies of the received signals.  These
ghost signals are often seen in my radio that has an early implementation of
DSP.

ALC activity is an indication that the TX power is approaching the nonlinear
region of the TX RF stage.  It also modifies the waveform if the ALC response
time is not much greater than the time variation of the amplitude of the
waveform - the symbol rate or baud rate.  Since ALC is designed primarily for
voice operation, the response time will not be long enough to avoid distorting
PSK waveforms with a symbol rate of 31.25 symbols/second.

FSK and AFSK theoretically produce identical waveforms.  The difference is that
AFSK is susceptible to nonlinearities in the audio and modulation stages as
pointed out earlier in this thread.

I hope this is helpful.

Ed
WB6YTE