Wondering if someone can point me to a link or some literature explaining
about why there is a FSK mode on the HF radios like the Icom ic-746pro,
Kenwood TS0940sat, and Ten-tec Paragon (585)? Is there a reason for this?

I am asking this because I have listened to some RTTY using either USB or LSB
dependent on what band I am on and could copy it with any software programs I
have but then switched to the FSKmode on the radios and loose the signal
completely.

Is this mode just for the older ancient RTTY eqiupment to interface with the
radio?

I haven't tried to send any RTTY yet but planning to be on the air next
weekend for the NAQP RTTY contest from the Red Cross station in Ann Arbor,MI.

James W8ISS