3. " Spread spectrum is a technique whereby the energy of the
transmitted signal is
distributed over a wide segment of spectrum.  The signal power density
can be very low and the
duration of a transmission on any frequency in the segment of the
spectrum can be but a fraction of
a second.  SS systems, therefore, can evenly share all of the spectrum
in the available frequency
segment, despite a number of stations transmitting simultaneously.
They can often share the same
spectrum unobtrusively with non-SS systems because the transmissions
may not be noticeable to a
casual listener. "

     4.   Special Temporary Authority to experiment with SS
transmissions was granted to 25
amateur stations affiliated with the Amateur Radio Research and
Development Corporation 16 years
ago.  These experiments involved on-air evaluation of different
spreading rates, frequency ranges,
and interference to stations transmitting other emission types.  On
the basis of these tests, two types
of spreading techniques -- frequency hopping and direct sequence --
were authorized by our rules.
Under our current rules, SS transmissions may be made on authorized
amateur service frequencies
above 420 MHz with transmitter powers up to 100 watts.  Since
introduction of SS in the amateur
radio service, numerous commercial applications of SS have also
evolved, including personal
communications services, remote meter reading and position locating.

                            APPENDIX A

Comments

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 5:08 PM, Marco IK1ODO <ik1...@spin-it.com> wrote:

> >jose alberto nieto ros wrote:
> >>We can see it as we want, but if OLIVIA is legal, ROS is legal.
>
> The only difference I see, Olivia does not say to
> be "spread spectrum", ROS does so :-) - but it's
> exactly the same approach, as many other digital modes.
> So, what is the exact "spread spectrum"
> definition given by FCC? There should be one, somewhere.
>
> 73 - Marco IK1ODO

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: