Skip KH6TY wrote: "In fact actress Hedy Lamarr invented spread spectrum, and
you can read that here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedy_Lamarr.";

While frequency-hopping was first introduced in a patent filed by Nikola Tesla
in 1900, I've always been fascinated by the role of Austrian actress Hedy
Lamarr in the development of spread-spectrum.

According to Wikipedia,  (following is quoted from their site): Avant garde
composer George Antheil, a son of German immigrants and neighbor of Lamarr, had
experimented with automated control of musical instruments, including his music
for Ballet Mecanique, originally written for Fernand Léger's 1924 abstract
film. This score involved multiple player pianos playing simultaneously.

Lamarr had learned about the problem at defense meetings she had attended with
her former husband Friedrich Mandl, who was an Austrian arms manufacturer.

Together, Antheil and Lamarr submitted the idea of a secret communication
system in June 1941. On August 11, 1942, U.S. Patent 2,292,387 was granted to
Antheil and "Hedy Kiesler Markey", Lamarr's married name at the time. This
early version of frequency hopping used a piano roll to change between 88
frequencies and was intended to make radio-guided torpedoes harder for enemies
to detect or jam.

The patent came to light during patent searches in the 1950s when ITT
Corporation and other private firms began to develop Code Division Multiple
Access (CDMA), a civilian form of spread spectrum.

  Jim - K6JM