Just to make myself clear, I am not suggesting that we actually use the
standard ALE digital mode for calling CQ.   I'd be fine with it,  but it is
quite wide and would start a debate all over again.  I'm also not suggesting
we use ALE-style soundings that are unattended. What I like about the
general concept of ALE is a standard calling mode and then use of received
data to establish what mode can be used to maintain the current QSO  (or
"link" ) .  The recent ROS debate quickly educated me about band plans and
preferences, it is clear to me that the variance in suggested bandplans
between IARU regions is such that the world is really spit in to "wide" and
"narrow" band segments.  The world is also split in to "favourite" modes
where people try to find a niche within a band for these modes.  The result
is competing debates about which mode should park where.  PSK , PACTOR,
RTTY, and PACKET are the dominant modes with JT65A and WSPR as the next most
used modes.  That leaves Olivia, Throb, MFSK16, ROS, PAX, Domino, Contestia,
WINMOR,  Standard ALE, Hell, ALE400 and PSK variants, as the remainder.  .
While I would love to change the habits of PSKers and RTTY folks, I doubt I
could do it.  I think there is enough room to accommodate PSK, RTTY. PACTOR
, JT65A/WSPR, and PACKET and then have a good segment of each band for the
rest.  The plan would be that "the rest" all agree to use one mode for a CQ/

Andy K3UK