            Dave, AA6YQ

From: rosdigitalmodemgr...@yahoogroups.com

On Behalf Of Dave AA6YQ

Sent: Tuesday, March 02, 2010 4:08 PM

To: rosdigitalmodemgr...@yahoogroups.com Subject:

RE: [ROSDIGITALMODEMGROUP] Experimentation and Amateur Radio

1. The author publicly described ROS as spread spectrum

2. Hams in the US are required to determine whether a mode is legal in the
US before using it

3. In the US, spread spectrum is not legal on HF bands

#1 was an egregious technical error. A engineer making a mistake of this
magnitude should exhibit contrition and patience, not belligerance and
outrage. Threatening legal action against a ham attempting in good faith to
fulfil obligation #2 was far outside the spirit of amateur radio -- and from
a legal perspective, ridiculous. Framing the amateur community's reaction as
"anti-innovation" is disingenuous; we've seen many new digital modes from
all quarters over the years, and none produced anything close to this
situation.

Had the author correctly described ROS from the outset, or had he
forthrightly corrected his error without lashing out at everyone who sought
to understand what technology ROS actually employs so they could confidently
use this attractive new mode, this teapot tempest would never have occurred.

You reap what you sow.

    73,

       Dave, AA6YQ