From: Andy obrien <k3uka...@gmail.com>
To: digitalradio <digitalradio@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Sat, March 6, 2010 8:34:05 AM
Subject: [digitalradio] The cost of digital mode interfaces

I was helping a ham get set-up for digital modes recently and turned
to the issue of interfaces for digital modes.  I researched the price
for a Rigblaster Pro and was shocked that they sell for $299.  My
friend settled for another interface  that cost $69, new.  I was
wondering about interfaces and wondering about whether the era of high
priced interfaces might be coming to an end.  I'm not talking about
the ones that have extra features like electronic CW keying, high end
soundcards , etc etc.  I'm thinking that a device that has connectors,
isolation circuits, pots, and a good solid enclosure, should be in the
under $100 range.  I know you can build your own for $20 or so,  It
is nice to see that many low price options exist nowadays.
Andy K3UK