This would be a general definition that perhaps not everyone could fully
agree on:

   Too Wide:  takes up too much spectrum bandwidth for the amount of
information delivered or the speed of the information's delivery.

Poor or disturbed propagation constrains all of us into fewer bands for
digital operations. With fewer sunspots, we all crowd the same bands which
makes the "too wide" problem worse.  Some modes are very narrow and are
spectrum efficient but have little error correction.  Others are "too wide"
but have lots or error correction and are fast.   As you very well know,
these are the tradeoffs we all face.

   This definition might cause a bit of a "Food Fight" here on this
reflector but hopefully . . . not.

Rick - KH2DF