Trevor,

I was not privy to the names of the engineers - only told in confidence by one of the group that it was done. There is no report, and Dan Henderson is the ARRL spokesman who relayed the information to hams. That finding was also published on the ARRL website. This is all I can say and will say on this subject.

Sorry, that I can say no more, but you can make the tests for yourself and see that ROS is indeed frequency hopped. As has been stated, hams are responsible for following the regulations. It is definitely unusual that the FCC would look at the emitted frequencies as they did in this case, but I guess it was because of so much disagreement. When the FCC decides to prosecute an wrong-doer, they definitely make an analysis on their own - just read the various charges filed against out of banders that are caught, transmitting more than the allowed power, blocking repeaters, using profanity, etc. They have in many cases gone to much trouble to determine without a doubt that a rule was being broken. In this case, any ham can make the same analysis - just run ROS into a soundcard and look at the resulting spectrum. ARRL only tries to provide guidance so individuals do have to do that, but the responsibility is up to the individual amateur to comply with the regulations.

73 - Skip KH6TY

Trevor . wrote:
--- On Wed, 2/6/10, KH6TY <kh...@comcast.net <mailto:kh6ty%40comcast.net>> wrote:
> The FCC engineers have performed the same spectral analysis and
> informed the ARRL that the mode is truly spread spectrum.

That's interesting, the FCC have said they they did not give judgments on individual data modes, it's up to the operator to decide.

Who were the FCC engineers you mention, where is their report and who in ARRL HQ did they communicate with.

73 Trevor M5AKA