Ubuntu is an operating system, like Windows.  It DOES NOT run Windows
programs natively.

The programs that Peter mentioned were ALL linux (Ubuntu) programs.

Linux has most necessary drivers for most hardware out there. It would
handle the sound card, modem, speaker, etc  the same way Windows does in
effect.

If you are ever curious, you can download the Ubuntu ISO file, burn it to
disc and start up a "live cd" install of Ubuntu.  This loads Ubuntu into
memory WITHOUT making any changes to the hard drive.  It gives you an
opportunity to test drive the support for your hardware without making any
permanent changes, and then assuming everything is working, it lets you
install the OS on the computer as well.  You can have a hard disc that is
"dual boot", meaning it can run both Windows AND Ubuntu; you simply select
one or the other at the prompt during boot-up.

With Linux, there are a LOT of options.  I have to agree with Phil's
comments that one shouldn't look to run Windows software under Linux, but
rather look for the best Linux tools out there to do the job.

Dave

--
Dave
K3DCW