Hello all,
Here is the Discovery weekly update for 2017-07-31. As always, feedback and
questions are welcome.

Programming note: We'll be spending our time and attention for the next
week at Wikimania (well a sizable number of us). As such, Discovery weekly
updates will return the week of 14 August.

== Highlights ==
* 2016/17 Q4 Metrics for the Discovery Department were presented on Aug 3,
2017
* The Audiences 2 (New Readers, Structured Data on Commons, Wikidata, &
Readers) Quarterly Check-in, July 2017, has been published that contains
the Discovery Department's update. [0]

== Discussions ==

=== Search ===
* Archive search on Special:Undelete enabled everywhere by Stas. [1]
* We began a search relevance test to see if we could get good feedback,
based on (initial) canned queries (Erik was the key person on this test to
get grading feedback from humans on search results) [2]
* David fixed a bug where reusing the ScriptService was hitting a circuit
breaker which prevented large featuresets to be compiled in one row [3].
This isn't complete deployed yet, due to needing a new plugin version to be
added into production first.
* Guillaume and Chris J helped with a big issue due to some elasticsearch
servers in eqiad overheating (applied thermal paste) [4]
* Trey completed another round of testing and analysis on the updated
Vietnamese language plugin; we're still not able to deploy it, but it has
improved. We may try again later after more updates. [5]

=== Analysis  ===
* Mikhail and Chelsy worked diligently on getting metrics for the Discovery
Department's Q4 2016/2017 slide deck ready for delivery [6]

=== Maps ===
* Enabled mapframe for ptwikipedia, euwikipedia and uawikimedia projects
(thanks, Maxǃ) [7]

[0]
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File%3AAudiences_2_(New_Readers%2C_Structured_Data_on_Commons%2C_Wikidata%2C_%26_Readers)_Quarterly_Check-in%2C_July_2017.pdf
[5] https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T170423#3502328

---

The archive of all past updates can be found on MediaWiki.org:

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Discovery/Status_updates

Interested in getting involved? See tasks marked as "Easy" or "Volunteer
needed" in Phabricator.

[1] https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/maniphest/query/qW51XhCCd8.7/#R
[2] https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/maniphest/query/5KEPuEJh9TPS/#R

Yours,