Hey,

I'm trying to set up a transmitter that simply broadcasts voice (AM quality is fine) over a range of a few miles. It would be implemented in developing world situations, such as rural India or Africa, and therefore must be constructed with very cheap hardware. We currently have selected a suitable computer to deal with the software necessities (saving and queueing audio files to be transmitted), but what other hardware is necessary for the transmission? I am new to gnu-radio, and can probably convince the sponsor to pay for a USRP for research purposes, but of course this definitely would not be able to be used in the actual implementation.

Trevor