Another thought I had earlier today is that with UAC2 (USB Audio Class version 2), there's no limit on the sample rate that a UAC2 device can advertise, so it might be nice to make a USB-SDR device "appear" to be a UAC2 compliant device. [Well, OK that's not strictly
  true, you can advertise up to something like 400Msps].

Perhaps we can overload the control interface a bit (volume control becomes RF gain, use some other thingy in the control portion of
  UAC2 for setting frequency).

There's already SDR-Widget, and perhaps they can be brought into this--that is the aims of the SDR-Widget folks and the "cheaper hardware"
  Gnu Radio folks have some significant overlap.

--
Marcus Leech
Principal Investigator