> After this point the only thing that I can do is remove and re-insert the
> USB from the computer in order for my script to work. I assume this is not
> normal behavior (and also not a programming error) because this is a minimum
> working example, and its not working.

There is literally nothing GNURadio can do about this.

When you press the 'red cross' button, it _kills_ the whole process
(SIGKILL), a process cannot catch this signal, nor do anything about
it (i.e. not a single instruction of gnuradio will execute after this)

At this point, it's up to the operating system to clean up any state
of the process ...

Cheers,

   Sylvain