Thanks everyone for your responses.  The funny thing is, I already concluded
the way to go was to hook up an RTL-SDR dongle and start poking around.
Should be here this week.

I know the frequencies (based on FCC license search) and the hardware
manufacturer (IPMN).  AFAICT there are a variety of technologies available
for AVL, so any given transit agency is likely using something different.

I see no insurmountable barriers getting to the point of successful Viterbi
decodes.  After that, it seems quite difficult.  First I have to guess the
whitening polynomial and its initialization, then figure out packet framing,
and possible source coding.  And all of this assumes nothing is
intentionally encrypted...

Mark