Kevin,

     Your comments got me thinking about my destructors.  After poking
around a bit I realized that one of the constructors (the actual radio
interface) was never firing.  Turns out that I was not calling delete() on
the pointer to the radio manager instance.  Once I fixed that everything
just works.  Still runs twice which is just odd to me, but it does work as
expected!

     Thank you for guiding me in the right direction :D

-Dave