Problem solved.  I used the Sound GUI under the Settingsmenu to select the
audio source.
I am not sure if that is PulseAudio, but the selections and gain settings do
work.

I even found that I could switch the device while the flowgraph was running.
That said, I am puzzled about the intended usage of HW:1,0 and and similar
device names.Suppose I create ~/.asoundrc following the instructions at:
http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/ALSAPulseAudio

Then should I be able to specify the device name in GRC
and not have to rely on the audio setings?