Hi Arie,

well, as said, it's not that there is inherently no way to use SDRPlay
with gr-osmosdr, but the license of the SDRPlay software makes it
impossible to ship software doing that, so that option is disabled by
default.

You're still free to build things yourself with that option enabled, but
yes, you'd have to build it yourself, I don't see an easy way to give
you what you want (though I certainly see it the other way around than
you do – SDRPlay doesn't work with GNU Radio; that's not really GNU
Radio's fault).

It's currently much easier to build GNU Radio on Linux than on Windows,
and Linux Mint should do quite fine (it's largely Ubuntu, and we test
extensively against that). In fact, we have pretty much copy&pasteable
command line instructions on how to do that. You'll need to install the
SDRPlay closed source binary behorehand, and then change one file before
you start the build process, but that should do it (haven't tested it,
though).

Best regards,

Marcus