I'd would design the app that way, too, indeed. But ZMQ has different
socket types, and I think the (probably best, appropriate, right) socket
type you're referring to here is req/rep (request/reply), and yeah, in
that scenario, the GNU Radio block on the would request new data, as
soon as it has enough space in its buffers. That would inherently lead
to rate-limiting, and would try to keep buffers as full as possible.

Cheers,

Marcus