Hi Marcus,

I'm not getting overruns, and the signal source was the N210 (I was doing a
loopback test). I switched to a hardware radio to transmit data, and the
spikes went away. Is that what you'd expect? The spikes were 2000-3000
samples apart. If you don't think I should see those spikes even when the
SDR is receiving from itself, I can investigate trying different frequency
settings.

What equation can be used to calculate supported sample rates? Is it just
clock (default 50 MHz, but I think it can be set to other values) divided
by any integer value, only even integers, etc...? I just used the sample
rate someone had chosen before I inherited the code, and it didn't generate
any warnings about not being a value supported by the hardware (which is
what I saw when switching the frequency to other values).

Thanks,
Sean

On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 1:52 PM, Marcus D. Leech <mle...@ripnet.com> wrote:

> On 07/06/2017 12:46 PM, Sean Horton wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've recently gotten someone with Matlab to help me look at what's going
>> on in my receiver. The image was created with matlab from data from a file
>> sink connected directly to a usrp source. I am seeing spurious spikes when
>> plotting I or Q, and I'm not sure where they could be coming from, or how
>> to get rid of them. I know what I think I'm about to transmit doesn't have
>> those spikes.
>>
>> Some info that might be helpful:
>> Using a N210 with a UBX connected directly to my desktop.
>> I have tried a few sample rates (96000, 201613).
>> I am currently doing a loopback test, though working on getting the sdr
>> to listen to a signal generated by another piece of equipment.
>> This doesn't stop me from being able to decode what is transmitted, but
>> since my issue is I can't decode messages with as low of an SNR as I
>> expect, I'm trying to examine everything as closely as possible. I'm off by
>> 20-30 dB.
>> The entire path to get to matlab is: usrp_source -> file_sink -> Python's
>> scipy in order to read in the raw data and store it in a .mat.
>>
>> Also, if any responder would be kind enough to also point out how I
>> properly respond, that'd be great. I know I can't just hit reply to the
>> digest, and I also can't change the subject line when I hit reply in the
>> digest, so I'm sort of stumped. I have had digest mode on, so I'll turn
>> that off for now.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Sean
>>
>> --
>> Sean Horton
>>

>> Sean:
>
> So, I'll note that for an N210, neither of those sample rates are
> supported precisely by the hardware.
>
> Are you getting overruns when recording the data?
>
> What is the source of the signal?
>
> What frequency, and do the spikes come/go with frequency setting?

Sean Horton