Andrew,

The first sentence of Bastian's excellent readme answers your second
question. Please do the bare minimum research before sending an email to
several thousand people.

We get that you're excited about GNU Radio. We all are. But if you are
expecting a detailed answer to a question, you need to ask a detailed
question in the first place. Here's a template you can use to help you with
that:

What are you trying to do? Be specific. What software are you trying to do
it with?

What command did you run? If you have a flowgraph, please attach it for
reference.

What did you expect to happen?

What actually happened? Cut and paste is extraordinarily helpful here.

What help do you need in order to move forward?

Hopefully this template can make the mailing list a more useful place for
us all.

Best,
Nick