On 09/11/2017 04:50 AM, John Shields wrote:
Thanks for the feedback but I am not sure that I understand it. What I was hoping to do was step through the configurations with increasing levels of synchronisation and expecting to see same.

Marcus' comment is correct and I have not, yet, put in the code which synchronises SBXs.

I guess my basic point, from looking at previous post from others Marcus L included, was that UHD would somehow improve the synchronisation between two USRPs in the same container versus those two separately.
What the multi_usrp object will do is to *align timestamps* among all the devices within the "container". That is distinct from arranging for synchronization in time and phase. For that, you must have a shared 10MHz reference and 1PPS source, and you must ask the
  UHD source to use them.

What I do for testing ongoing phase coherence is to conjugate multiply the two halves, then low-pass filter and decimate. This allows me to observe any phase-drift between the two sides over time. This assumes that both sides are tuned to some common test signal.

In the case where two devices aren't sharing a reference clock, one can expect the above to produce a noise-like output, since there will be random mutual phase noise. In the case where the two sides have a slow phase-drift with respect to one another, one can expect a slow sinusoidal output. In the case where both sides are in constant phase coherence, one can expect an essentially-constant output.

When I executed the FG shown (separately) with the USRPs individually and then within a UHD container the results in terms of phase variation was the same. I had expected that, based on my understanding, the containerised USRPs would have behaved better.

So, either my FG does not measure what I thought it should or there is little UHD-related benefit to having USRPs individually or in the 'domain' as MarcusL has mentioned previously. From my situation it doesn't hence the first question in the post:

Does my FG not measure what I claim to be wishing to measure?

Kind Regards,

            John