Hi Marcus,
Thanks for the detailed answer.
After a long period, I managed to work on it (in several steps) during the
last couple of months.

I managed to find the bottleneck using ControlPorts. It showed a couple of
blocks that were bottlenecks (based on previous block's output buffers).
Interestingly, they weren't IO-bound. I haven't investigated it further,
but I guess that the facts that (i) they caused dropped samples; (ii) were
CPU-bound; and (iii) did not reach anywhere near 100% in htop indicate that
they might have high fluctuations in CPU usage, it might be that they do
use 100% CPU for a very short time (then they cause dropped samples),
shorter than the sampling and averaging periods of tools like htop.
Optimizing those blocks solved the issue of dropped samples.

I only gave kernelshark little attention. It didn't prove to be a simple
tool to use out of the box, I don't think that the docs and level of polish
are well enough for this general use case. Maybe, if someone takes it as a
project and documents how to apply it to flowgraph inspection.