Hi Geoff,

might be a good idea to ask this on usrp-us...@lists.ettus.com, because
these CICs are not part of GNU Radio :)

Anyway: There's nothing much to interpret about CIC responses; they are
well-known. The length (and potentially order, as in exponent) of the
CIC used depends on your specific USRP model. (and, potentially, UHD
version)

It's rare that one actually designs an equalizing filter for the CIC –
in all USRPs, the CIC comes before the halfband filter(s), and thus,
you'd typically only see "the flattest part" of the frequency response
of the CIC.

Designing a compensating filter is mathematically impossible, but you
can alleviate certain aspects of the CIC impulse response. But this
would really require you to state what the target metric is over which
bandwidth. Also, it's almost certain that this filter would be
computationally much worse than just oversampling at the USRP end and
then decimating in software with a filter that fits what you need
better.

Notice that I very much believe that "what you need" is the critical
aspect here: Occam's razor tells me that unless you can define why the
CIC is your problem very well, then it's likely you're trying to solve
something that doesn't need solving (or that equalizing parts of the
CIC response isn't the answer you're looking for ;) ).

So, if you asked me: Describe what your system need is, and how you
came to the conclusion that the CIC is a problem! This mailing list is
very prone to having interesting discussions about real-world problems
where every party learns a lot.

Best regards,
Marcus